Most Atlantans like their winters, as long as they are brief and dry. While the season is indeed brief, winter can have an effect on your home’s appearance, specifically on your curb appeal. Here are some tips to keep up appearances despite the dreary weather.
• Take Care of Yard Leaves: Few things are more pleasant than fall’s colors. They are beautiful until they smother your lawn and damage your grass. Start by clearing dead leaves from your lawn. Give it a final cutting, but first, set your lawn mower one inch lower than usual. Overseed your lawn with rye or a similar annual grass option. Finally, feed your lawn with potassium-rich fertilizer.
• Plant Vibrant Annual Plants and Flowers: Not all plants go dormant in cold weather. Plant shrubs that flower during the winter season, such as blue holly that produces red berries. Evergreens are a great choice that look fresh all year long. Add color by planting barberry bushes and choose your favorite hues ranging from bright yellow-green to deep chartreuse.
• Be a Haven for Birds: Add bird feeders, winter container gardens, or window boxes to attract these beautiful visitors. A bright red cardinal or stunning blue jay can be beacons on dreary winter days.
• Paint Your Front Door: Painting your front door will instantly upgrade your curb appeal. Don’t be shy. Choose a vibrant color to make a statement that winter does not get you down.
• Bring Color to Your Front Porch: Consider brightly colored rockers and chairs with flannel or textured throws for your front porch to make your entrance ultra-inviting.
• Keep Things Safe: Be sure to clear walkways or any other obstacles near your front porch or portico that can be a hazard to family members or guests. Ensure steps and handrails are user-friendly and check for wood rot. Make sure you have plenty of light by your walkway, front door, or garage since it gets darker so much earlier.
If you are looking to make a dramatic change to your curb appeal, contact us for front porch and portico designs. We’ll show you before and after photos of work we have done for customers over the years, so you can see the impact these additions have on a home’s curb appeal and visualize what we can do for your home.